Family Law Assistance Program
About the program
The Family Law Assistance Program (FLAP) is a self-help clinical legal service designed to assist people involved in Family Law litigation who do not have legal representation. It is administered by Monash University and runs out of Monash Law Clinics Clayton.
The program objectives
The Family Law Assistance Program aims to provide participants with the knowledge and support they need to undertake their own case before the Court, or with the assistance of a Barrister, if required. Students, under supervision of a qualified and experienced lawyer, take clients through the legal process, providing information on required forms, how to lodge an application, and if necessary, how to appear before a registrar or judge, court etiquette and the numerous other procedures required by the Court.
Students, under supervision, also provide clients with knowledge of Family Dispute Resolution (FDR) and parenting programs they may be required to undertake throughout the course of their case.
Students also undertake follow-up work including:
- Letter drafting
- Preparing court documents
- Communicating with the client on file progressions
This process provides students with invaluable practical experience. It also performs the important community function of providing a free legal service.
Interviews are conducted in 45 minute appointment time slots during various sessions throughout the week (see Opening Hours for more information).
Although Monash Law Clinics - Clayton is a free community legal centre, the conduct of your case may involve expenses. For example, bringing a court action will usually involve paying filing fees, and court appearances will often involve briefing a barrister whose fees must be paid. If you do not qualify for Legal Aid, you will have to meet these expenses yourself.
- On arrival at Monash Law Clinics - Clayton, you will be seated in the waiting room until your name is called. Although we will make every effort to see you at your scheduled interview time, it is not always possible to predict how long interviews will take, so please be patient if the interviews before yours run over time.
- A student will interview you and gather facts about your legal matter. Please bring any relevant documents and information with you to this appointment to assist us in efficiently processing your legal matter.
- The student will then leave the room to discuss your case and consider the appropriate law and action to be taken with the supervising solicitor.
- On the students return you will be advised of your legal position and how the problem should be dealt with, including the need for any future appointments.
- The student will then perform any necessary case follow-up.
Please note: appointments are essential. There is usually a waiting period because of the service this program provides.
* FLAP runs a drop-in service at the Dandenong Family/Federal Circuit Court every Monday from approximately 9:30am onwards. No appointments necessary.
Family Law Assistance Program
Located at the Monash Law Clinics - Clayton
60 Beddoe Avenue
Clayton VIC 3168
Phone: + 61 3 9905 4336
Fax: + 61 3 9905 1113