Motor vehicle accidents

If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident and do not have insurance to cover the damage, you may become involved in a dispute with the other party involved.

They may expect you to pay for damage caused to their vehicle, or you may be approaching them to pay for damage to your vehicle.

The question of who is legally responsible for the cost of damage will depend on the circumstances of the accident and who was at fault.

Unless you are prepared to admit fault and pay for all repairs, you should be careful not to make any admissions of fault. You should obtain at least two quotations for repairs to your vehicle, and write down as accurately as possible the circumstances of the accident, including a diagram if possible. You should bring these documents with you to your appointment.

In the case of a motor vehicle accident, MOLS can help you:

  • Negotiate with other parties involved in an accident, or their insurer
  • Draft a letter of demand if you are seeking payment for damages
  • Respond to a letter of demand if other parties are seeking payment for damages
  • Understand the options available and the appropriate actions to take
  • Prepare for court if required.

You may also find some relevant materials on useful links page.