Australia’s highest ranking Pharmacy Faculty flings open its doors for Open Day
Discover why Monash University is ranked second best in the world to study Pharmacy and Pharmacology, and number one in Australia, at our Monash Parkville campus Open Day on Sunday 20 August.
Monash’s Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences throws open its doors from 10:00am to 3:00pm giving visitors a view of pharmacy in action through interactive tours, virtual reality displays, and a Kids’ Lab to inspire the next generation of young scientists.
This year’s theme, ‘Become a Medicines Superhero’, highlights the role of graduates in improving human health and wellbeing as practising pharmacists, or as researchers involved in developing new treatments.
Two notable examples of treatments developed at Monash Pharmacy include the Relenza flu vaccine and a new, inhaled form of a medicine, Oxytocin, which could significantly reduce maternal deaths around the world.
Ranked number two in the world for Pharmacy and Pharmacology, according to the QS World University Rankings by Subject, the Faculty is also a major contributor to the sector through its research and industry partnerships.
As one of Victoria’s fastest growing sectors, the industry employs more than 23,000 people in Victoria and generates over $12.7 billion in revenue a year in medical technologies and pharmaceuticals.
While Open Day is aimed at prospective students, everyone is welcome to tour the campus facilities, and talk with staff and current students about career options, overseas study and scholarships.
Prospective students are encouraged to plan ahead to make the most of their visit by visiting the Open Day website.
Activities on offer at Monash Parkville Open Day:
- Learn how we are tackling cancer, antibiotic resistance, malaria, dementia and neglected diseases through a range of displays and live three-minute research presentations by students
- Explore the inside of a cancer cell using Virtual Reality
- Get a taste of what it's like to learn at Monash by joining a Medicines in Movies lecture explaining key concepts in pharmaceutical science using examples from popular movies
- Younger scientists can join the Kids' Lab to feel, taste and smell chemistry through a range of fun hands on experiments. Activities are recommended for 5 – 15 year olds
- Pharmacy in action delivers live demonstrations showing how Pharmacists treat patients by drawing upon a deep understanding of how drugs affect the human body, their therapeutic benefits, and their side-effects
About Monash University
Monash University is the largest university in Australia and ranked in the top one per cent of world universities. It has earned an enviable national and international reputation for research and teaching excellence, and is a member of Australia’s Group of Eight research-intensive universities and the M8 Alliance of Academic Health Centres and Medical Universities.
Open Day facts
- More than 50,000 people are expected to visit Monash University campuses on Open Day
- Around 1000 student ambassadors are donating their time
- More than 550 activities to be delivered across Monash University campuses