Australian visas

Not a tourist but a student

As an exchange or study abroad student you must enter Australia with a sub-class 500 student visa and not a tourist visa. Before you can apply for a visa you will need a letter of offer from Monash Abroad and a Certificate of Enrolment (CoE) – your CoE is emailed to you after you receive an offer and return your acceptance form to us.

Apply early

Students from some countries can apply online, but it can take six to eight weeks for your visa to be processed, so you should apply as early as possible. In some cases you may need to obtain a health clearance or include your IELTS test score with your visa application – allow extra time for arranging these items too.

Streamlined visa processing

Choosing Monash as your Australian study abroad destination means you'll benefit from streamlined and fast-tracked visa application and processing times. We don't require any additional documentation for you to be a part of streamlined visa processing, because we're approved by the Australian Government to access the Department of Immigration and Citizenship's Streamlined Visa Processing (SVP) arrangements under the Student Visa Program.

The costs

Student visa charges are managed by the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship. You can find out everything you need to know on their website.

Working in Australia

You can work part-time, for up to twenty hours per week during the semester and on a full-time basis during semester breaks with an Australian student visa. You can choose any kind of work you like (there aren't any restrictions) – there are opportunities on campus at the many cafes and food outlets, as well as off-campus.

If you received an electronic student visa you wont have a visa stamp in your passport. This is fine; the stamp is not required for you to be allowed to work in Australia. If you or your employer needs to access your visa, you can do this using the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system.

Extending your stay

After you finish your studies at Monash your student visa is normally valid for one to three months after your official enrolment period.

If you wish to extend your stay in Australia once you have completed your studies you will need to apply for a tourist visa. Tourist visas are granted as long as you do not have an 8534 or 8535 condition on your student visa. You will need to provide a letter confirming completion of studies with your application for extension of stay in Australia.

Malaysian visas

Student pass

Your student pass is like your ticket to entering Malaysia, but it's only temporary. Your student pass will be emailed or couriered to you before you leave home, and you need to print and present it on your way through immigration when you arrive at the airport in Malaysia.

Getting your visa

Once you arrive at Monash, the Abroad team will send your passport, along with your student pass to Malaysian Immigration to have your student pass endorsed and a student visa inserted into your passport.
You will have to undergo a medical screening (comprises of chest x-ray examination, blood and urine tests etc) and hand in your passport to the university to obtain a Student Pass endorsement. The endorsement process takes between 6-8 weeks, during which time you cannot travel outside of Peninsula Malaysia.
Be sure to carefully read student pass information to ensure you have completed all tasks.

Working in Malaysia

You are eligible to work up to 20 hours per week during while on exchange in Malaysia.