On-Campus Accommodation

Living on-campus

Living in the halls of residence gives you the chance to become immersed in campus life at Monash and get to know local students. Monash Residential Services runs the halls of residence and provides you with lots of extra support – like mental health and first aid trained staff, academic programming around exam time, as well as 24-hour safety and security.

There are halls of residence at each Monash campus (in Australia and Malaysia). Visit on-campus accommodation, as well as Sunway Monash Residence, to find out what life is like at each – there's information for you, your parents and family, and you can even take a virtual tours so you can see what the buildings and rooms actually look like.

If coming to Australia, Clayton might be your best bet

Most study abroad and exchange students apply to live on the Clayton campus, as availability at the other Australian campuses is limited. Clayton is 20km from the Melbourne CBD and provides lots of options for housing – there are five halls of residence (each have about 200 rooms), Normanby House and South East Flats.

All accommodation is co-ed and each student has their own room with shared kitchen and bathrooms. Check out floor plans, activities and services offered at Clayton Residential.

We have a special arrangement with Monash Residential Services that means that you're given priority when applying for accommodation at the Clayton campus. Make sure you apply as early as possible as accommodation is not guaranteed to all students that apply.

If your exchange will take you to any Monash campus in Australia, and you'd like to apply for on-campus accommodation, you'll need to lodge an application with Monash Residential Services (MRS). Your Monash Abroad coordinator will send you instructions for applying for accommodation with your letter of offer.


We've made studying at the Malaysia campus really easy – because as a study abroad or exchange students you're guaranteed on-campus accommodation in the Sunway Monash Residence.

To make sure we reserve a room for you you'll need to complete and lodge your Sunway Monash Residence application form – application details will be included in your offer package.

We encourage you to live on-campus, however if you'd like to live off-campus you should arrange your accommodation before you leave your home country. Have a look at off-campus accommodation options.

How much does it cost?

The cost of accommodation varies depending on which option you choose.

Australian campuses

Accommodation fees


Rental rates

You are charged for a minimum stay of 21 weeks per semester. Refunds are not possible if you stay less than 21 weeks, so only sign the housing offer if you are positive you will live in the halls for the duration of the contract. This period begins shortly before the Monash Abroad orientation and finishes just after the end of the exam period.

You may be able to extend your stay before or after semester, subject to the availability of rooms. Rooms are usually available before the start of semester one and after the end of semester two through the summer holiday period, but not in-between semesters one and two. If you want to extend your stay you'll need to apply directly to Monash Residential Services and will be charged a nightly rate.

Room charges include all utilities, except at Caulfield where there is a separate charge for electricity and telephone if you choose to connect one in your bedroom. The free internet quota provided to all Monash students may be used at the halls of residence.

Contact us

If you have any questions or need help completing your application, contact us.