ANDS, Research Data Services (RDS) and National eResearch Collaboration Tools and Resources project (Nectar) are creating an aligned set of joint investments to deliver transformation in the research sector. This includes bringing together our 2017/18 Business Plans, and a joint ANDS-Nectar-RDS website.
Our aims are to make significant progress on four key transformations that can and should be achieved by Australia:
- A world leading data advantage: Accessible data and methods generated by the whole of the national research infrastructure investment will enable researchers to address challenges in new ways, because findable, accessible, interoperable and reusable data creates new research and innovation opportunities. The optimisation of data requires a partnership between the NRIC data generating capabilities and the proposed Australian Research Data Cloud.
- Accelerated innovation: Researchers will be able to create the data tools and services that they need, from reliable, configurable and reusable foundations, without needing to build from the ground up. In providing this environment, the innovation burden will be greatly reduced, and a platform for collaboration that enables innovation to flourish will be provided.
- Collaboration for borderless research: Research communities will be working in a data-rich environment with all of the underlying data, methods, and services to enable collaboration. This requires a partnership between the Australian Research Data Cloud, research communities and industry. The ability to create new collaborative platforms such as Nectar’s virtual laboratories over rich data resources focused on NCRIS domains has demonstrated this lift in collaboration.
- Enhanced translation of research: Reliable and available outputs of research, including data, methods and models, will enable translation across industry, policy and national research priorities. Industry, institutions and research communities can build research strategies and partnerships confident in highly reliable data. This requires a partnership between the Australian Research Data Cloud, industry and research. Further international engagement with major initiatives such as the European Open Science Cloud, also focused on translation, will enhance Australian translation.
These transformations will require a partnership between the NCRIS data generating and discovery capabilities, research communities, NCRIS domain capabilities, underlying capabilities, research institutions and industry. This will be achieved by facilitating arrangements that enable the development of sustainable, reliable and interoperable national infrastructure
Building on and leveraging previous investments and relationships developed by ANDS, RDS and Nectar, our programs for 2017/18 include:
- Research Domain Program: Responding to research domain and research community data infrastructure needs.
- Research Data Platforms: Underpinning compute, storage and services infrastructure to support the data and informatics needs of Australian research and industry.
- Sector-wide support and engagement: Planning, coordination and leadership to further policy development, international engagement, progress a national skills strategy and support the building and sharing of data assets across the sector.
What this means for partners
We will continue to focus our work directly with NCRIS infrastructure providers, Australian research sector organisations and institutional partners to support the programs above.
The alignment of ANDS, Nectar and RDS will create a comprehensive streamlined environment enhancing partner and industry engagement. The efficiencies gained from synchronising our projects will allow us to provide benefits across the research community.
We are continuing to work together on joint events and training opportunities throughout the year, including the Monthly Tech Talks series and a joint booths at relevant conferences.