Fines and penalties
It is your responsibility to return items by the due date
When you have an overdue item you cannot borrow or place a request and your loans will not be automatically renewed. Return your books to resume these activities.
Students who do not pay fines or do not return long overdue items may be encumbered. This means you will not be able to use Monash online services, re-enrol, access your results or graduate.
Fines accrue for overdue items for all library users. Once fines reach $25 (undergraduates and non-Monash users) or $50 (postgraduates, honours and staff), all accrued fines must be paid in full. Fines for lost or damaged items are a minimum of $150 per item.
The fine charged depends on the item:
- Standard loans: 50 cents per item per day
- Short loans / overnight loans: $5 per item per day.
- Reserve [3hr] loans: 10 cents per minute.
- Lost or damaged items: Minimum $150 per item. Exceptions to the standard fee may apply in the case of unusually expensive items.
Fines will remain active for the whole time that a student studies or a staff member is employed at the University.
How to manage your loans and avoid fines:
- Return items to Library before the due date
- Items must be returned 10 minutes before the library closes on the due date.
- There are no after hours return chutes at Matheson or Caulfield libraries but they are open for long hours during semester, allowing you to return your items when the library is open. You may return any items to an after hours return chute at Law, Hargrave-Andrew or Peninsula libraries.
- Sign in to Search and select My Loans to check due dates, view fines, place and cancel requests.
- You should receive a courtesy notice 2 days before an item is due
- Print out a loans receipt when you borrow items at self loans..
For payment options see How to pay your fine.