The Honours year provides an opportunity for high achieving students to participate in the research of the School of Biological Sciences during a fourth year of undergraduate study. Our research spans all levels of genetics and biological organisation, from molecules to ecosystems. Projects within the School regularly attract financial support from the Australian Research Council, government agencies, and industry. Our findings, including the results of many honours projects, are reported in some of the world's leading scientific journals.
Students work on a research project in collaboration with one or more supervisors from the School. This involves the completion of a research project (BIO4100) and advanced coursework (BIO4200). The areas of study encompassed in Biology Honours are:
Applying for Honours
Honours Projects and Supervisors
Download a comprehensive guide to the host supervisors and their research interests: 2019 Mid-Year Honours Projects (Pdf)
Honours Information Session
An information session for 2019 (mid-year start) was held on Monday 25 March 2019. A recording of this session can be accessed here. If you have any questions please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
More Information about Honours
Read all the FAQs before applying.
- Semester 2 start (2019): Monday 15 July 2019
- Semester 1 start (2020): 17 February 2020
Note: Honours training commences on Monday, one week before O week. Students should ensure they are available to attend this training.
How to Apply
- Read the list of Honours Projects guidebook that is published each semester. Use this to find suitable projects and supervisors.
- If possible, attend the School of Biological Sciences Honours information session that is held each semester. Also attend the Faculty of Science information session.
- Email potential supervisors to express your interest and organise a meeting. We recommend you outline your interests, explain why you want to do Honours, and include your academic transcripts.
- If you have tried to arrange a project, but are struggling to find a project or supervisor, please contact the Honours Co-ordinator for assistance and advice.
- Complete the School of Biological Sciences Project Preference Form (Semester 1 (CLOSED) OR Semester 2 start). Please forward the Google form response email to Kate Elliott, cc'ing in your supervisor.
- Complete the Faculty of Science Online Honours Application.
Submission dates for the School of Biological Sciences Project Preference Form and Faculty of Science Online Application:
- Semester 1 applications due November.
- Semester 2 applications due June.
External applications: Please contact the Honours Co-ordinator for assistance with applying for Honours.
Honours Co-ordinator (BIO4100 - Research Project)
A/Professor Chris Greening
Honours Deputy Co-ordinator (BIO4200 - Advanced Coursework)
Dr Chris Johnstone
Honours Technical Co-ordinator