In Level-one chemistry we emphasise chemistry as a central science and is open to all students. Our focus is on fostering an understanding of atoms and molecules as the building blocks of matter and on the development of laboratory skills to explore this idea.
- Most students will undertake the main-stream chemistry units (CHM1011 & CHM1022).
- An advanced stream (CHM1051 & CHM1052) exists for students who have excelled at the secondary level.
Name: Dr Sara Kyne
Phone: + 61 3 9905 4555
Name: Dr Drasko Vidovic (Assistant Coordinator)
Phone: + 61 3 9905 4522
Level-two chemistry offers units to students pursuing professional training in chemistry and to those requiring a strong chemistry background for other science, engineering or biomedical science disciplines. CHM2911 Synthetic chemistry I and CHM2922 Spectroscopy and analytical chemistry are recommended units for students intending to major in chemistry at the honours level.
- CHM2911 Synthetic chemistry I
- CHM2922 Spectroscopy and analytical chemistry
- CHM2942 Biological chemistry
- CHM2951 Environmental chemistry - water
- CHM2962 Food chemistry
- CHM2990 Introductory chemical research project
Name: Dr Alison Funston
Phone: +61 3 9905 6292
Students intending to continue Chemistry at honours level are required to complete 24 points of level three chemistry, including one of CHM3941 or CHM3922, and one of CHM3911 or CHM3952.
- CHM3180 Materials chemistry
- CHM3911 Advanced physical chemistry
- CHM3922 Advanced organic chemistry
- CHM3930 Medicinal chemistry
- CHM3941 Advanced inorganic chemistry
- CHM3952 Advanced analytical chemistry
- CHM3960 Environmental chemistry
- CHM3972 Sustainable chemistry
- CHM3990 Chemistry project
Name: Prof Philip Chan
Phone: +61 3 9905 1337